Sunday, November 11, 2012

Sunny Sunday...

It is an absolutely beautiful day here which is both good and, well, disappointing.

Not sure what happened to my foot last weekend, it is still bothering me though not as much. Maybe tendonitis?  Fascitis?  Or some other "itis"?  It's just frustrating and disappointing.

I have blogged on and off about running "over there" but sort of stopped when someone accused me of being "obsessed" about it.  Hardly true but I backed off anyway.  For me to be able to run more than a block and not want to pass out is truly an accomplishment - so I was proud of it.

I didn't start out wanting to run or thinking I could even do it.  It started with walking and then walking with a greater purpose - faster and with more intensity.  Then this urge to run just started to build up inside of me.  Hard to explain.  Then it became a challenge and a goal.  The challenge was to run more than walk, or run more than the last time.  It is truly a mental game and I learned discipline and to push myself when I thought I couldn't go any further.

The plan was to keep it up over the winter when it is so much nicer here to be outside.  If I could run 3.5 miles in the heat, imagine what could be accomplished in the cooler / less humid weather of winter!  But then my knee started to bother me a few weeks ago.  And now my foot.

Not sure what I'll do, have't figured it out yet.  I miss it, truly do.  It's almost a meditative thing.  No phones, no TV, nothing but an iPod and foot power.  The dog misses it, too.

I saw this pic on facebook and it struck a chord with me.  Perhaps running is no longer about weight loss and fitness but about getting rid of self doubt.


4 comments:

  1. This is sooo true...I never thought about it before. Isn't it amazing how we do things because our brain says so and we don't understand why yet we do it without an explaination?
    It is a cold rainy day here....pretty gloomy.

    The running/walking thing is good and would be better with a buddy along like Chance for sure.
    I hope your knee and foot get better soon! :)
    Have a great sunny Sunday!
    Hugs, Peter

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So much of what we do in life is a mental game. We tell ourselves we either can or can't do something and believe it.

      Nice, lazy day here....feel a bit guilty about it. lol

      Delete
  2. Its cold wet and windy here today - not doing much for my mood I can tell ya!!! Getting the hang of this now!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, you have other things on your plate besides the weather. Hope things go ok on Tuesday!

      Delete